Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Color project

             For the color project I chose to draw a mask. The picture is only half a mask to add even more of the "disguise". I chose the theme disguise, so a mask, and hiding the mask was oh so clever (or I thought so at least). The reason why I chose disguise as a theme is because it was the first thing that came to mind and I felt I could easily represent. Plus there are so many different way to represent a mask.
             I used color penciled. It's more inside my comfort zone considering I've never used the other mediums before coming in art 1. There's no reason other than I've used them before and it seemed the most logical considering I can draw some of the strict lines.
             So! This project was not as easy and comfortable as I figured. I have no idea how to shade which sounds ridiculous but it never came out smoothly. This may be because I got into the practice of smudging, or it may just be that I suck at shading with colored pencils.















Finished product on the right.
  If I could go back and redo something I would use a different medium to better draw details and to seem more life like a mature\
  Though it may not have a lot of details I'm proud of the blended colors of the mask. I tried to focus on the sight over lapping of the colors so it gave the illusion of almost fading from one color to the next. As I said before I think I suck at shading so I'm fairly proud that the shading seems to blend well.
  What I learned is that my 'comfort zone' may not actually be the best zone for me, its more of a shameful corner that I've given up on getting out of. But now when stretching my use of different mediums, I see that my comfort zone is really pathetic and I'm not even that strong in. Although I worked hard on this piece, and it turned out as best as I could, I feel that maybe if I just risked using something I never had, like water colors or oil pastels, I could have had a better outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment