Monday, March 20, 2017

Pit Fire

  1. Explain the process of pit fired ceramics and saggars.  Should be at least 3 sentences or more (20pts)
First you have to make a sketch and choose what technique you'll use to make it. After that, and once you make it, you have to fire it in the kiln. Prior to the firing you have to make sure that you smooth it out best you can (using a spoon). After the firing, fix anything by sanding it, and then begin the actual pit fire. Wrap your piece in flammable items and drizzle chemicals all throughout it, then place the pieces in a pit and light it on fire. Hopefully the flame doesn't blow up and destroy your piece, but ya know, sometime fires are LIT.
  1. How do you feel your piece was successful and how might you change it if you were to make it again? (20pts)
No I feel like my piece failed terribly. However, I thought the structure of the piece was good, I'm proud how it turned out because it was pretty challenging for me. Though I worked hard on the actual piece, I think I could have improved on the integrity; the scratch and slip wasn't that good which is what probably added to the incredible break in the piece. 









No comments:

Post a Comment